Very Denniee Nails :): 14. Ulta - Black Tie Affair

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

14. Ulta - Black Tie Affair

Hey everyone!  Today I'm wearing Black Tie Affair from Ulta, which is supposed to be a dupe for DL's Today Was a Fairytale.  Honestly, after seeing swatches of the DL, I can say that I like that version better.  Black Tie Affair is a dark, smokey grey jelly-ish base with small and large silver hex glitter.  The Ulta version is pretty, but it's nothing too special.

Black Tie Affair looks to be darker than Today Was a Fairytale, with smaller silver hex glitter.  Actually, at 1 coat, Black Tie Affair looks more similar to TWaF, but it does not apply evenly, so I could not leave it at that.  2 coats left me with some nails darker than others, but still pretty looking.  However, 3 coats is a little bit dark for me; I like it better when it's light and more sheer, strangely.  Even after 3 coats, there is still some VNL, so I would suggest layering this over a cream if you want full opacity.



BTA dried very gritty and dull, so I used 2 layers of topcoat: 1 coat of Seche Vite and 1 coat of Poshe.


Since BTA didn't really impress me at first, I added matte top coat just to see what it looked like.  I can say that I'm digging this look much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey guys! If you'd like to comment, I'd love to hear what you've got to say! :)